Throughout the ages, since creation, the prophetic voice has announced that a saviour was coming. In fact, the very first prophetic voice came from God the Father Himself.
From now on you and the woman will be enemies, as will your offspring and hers. You will strike his heel, but He (the offspring of the woman) will crush your head. Genesis 3:15 (TLB)
In other words, ‘I am intending to send a saviour, but I also intend to crush the head of your enemy.’
GOD’S plan has always been to send us a saviour. At the beginning of Creation, God planned it all out because He knew that without a saviour, we would be left without hope.
God did not send His Son into the world to judge and condemn the world, but to be it’s saviour and rescue it. John 3:17 (TPT)
Since the beginning of time, humanity has cried out for a saviour, and each time the voice of God would speak and proclaim prophetically that a saviour was coming.
It will be a sign and witness to the Lord Almighty in the land of Egypt. When they cry out to the LORD because of their oppressors, he will send them a saviour and defender, and he will rescue them. Isaiah 19: 20 (NIV)
Man cries out for a saviour – God hears them – and reminds them that indeed a saviour is coming.
The prophetic voice cries out. Here are just a few announcements of our Emmanuel, the hope of the world. arriving to bring hope, life and eternity.
- In Genesis 3:15, God prophesied that Jesus would come from the seed of a women.
- In Micah 5:2, Micah declared that the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem.
- In Isaiah 7:14, Isaiah foretold of the Messiah being born of a virgin and His name would be called Emmanuel. And in Isaiah 9:7, he said that the Messiah would be the heir to King David’s throne
- In Psalm 45:6-7, David spoke of the Messiah’s throne being anointed and eternal.
- Isaiah again spoke in Isaiah 9:6-7, For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7 He will reign on David’s throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this.
- Then of course there was the voice of Gabriel to Mary who spoke so clearly of her carrying and birthing the Saviour of the world in Luke 1: 30 -33.
It was these prophetic voices and many more that continued to carry the message right through history of the coming of our Saviour. The message of His birth, His death, His resurrection and His ascension into heaven, overcoming the power of death and the grave.
The weight of the prophecies of the Old Testament declared by the prophets of old, have stood the test of time.
Maybe these prophets did not know the full extent of all that they were declaring, but out of obedience, by the impression of God to speak and proclaim that there would indeed be a saviour coming, they chose to proclaim with confidence, that what they said, would come to pass.
It wasn’t until Christ was born, – when all those prophesies were fulfilled, did it make complete sense.
Stay tuned for Part 2 of ‘Our Emmanuel’.